Comprehensive Materials Benchmarking
FC-PAD's materials benchmarking activities include:
- Characterizing component structure, chemistry, and composition before and after durability testing
- Developing a systematic approach to understand the effects of testing variables and protocols on a material's stability and performance at the sub-Å to mm level.
Durability and Performance Characterization
FC-PAD's durability and performance characterization activities include:
- Coordinating durability and performance characterization across all six thrusts
- Advanced electron microscopy (Oak Ridge National Laboratory)
- Neutron and X-ray studies (Argonne National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology)
- Component diagnostics (Los Alamos National Laboratory, National Renewable Energy Laboratory)
- Providing experimental input and validation of durability models/simulations.
Development of New Techniques, Protocols, and Capabilities
FC-PAD's development of new techniques, protocols, and capabilities includes:
- Targeting characterization toward specific fuel cell materials and components and test protocols
- Performing operando studies and developing unique tools